Sunday, September 27, 2015

You Know the Voice: Mel Blanc (1980)

In the summer of 1980, CBS asked Mark Goodson & Bill Todman to develop a reality show similar to NBC's Real People and ABC's That's Incredible. The end result, That's My Line, would spend 2 summers on the network (1980-1), keeping Bob Barker busy during summer breaks from The Price is Right. We'll discuss that further over at The Land of Whatever, but for right now, let's focus on the following clip with father & son voice actors Mel & Noel Blanc, from 1980.

The set-up: Mel is interviewed by Barker, questions that he's probably fielded a bazillion times (and would field a few years later from David Letterman). When he mentions that he's looking for a successor, Barker pipes in, setting up a "contest" that is really a means for Noel to join his dad on stage, a stunt worthy of one of Barker's earlier series, Truth or Consequences.



2 comments:

SaturdayMorningFan said...

I remember this, I saw it when it first aired! Too bad WB didn't go with Noel for their future voice work. Or am I mistaken about that?

hobbyfan said...

I think Noel actually did some work for WB. I'll have to look it up.