Friday, November 10, 2017

Saturtainment: Go! (1973)

NBC developed a weekly magazine-type program for young people in 1973 with Go!, which ran for 3 seasons in all (1973-6), with the series rechristened Go-USA in the final season to commemorate the bicentennial.

There was no set host. Various NBC personalities, including Emergency! stars Randolph Mantooth & Kevin Tighe and original Jeopardy! host Art Fleming, appeared, serving as tour guides for viewers. In the final season, as Go-USA, the series shifted to a more dramatic bent, almost in the vein of CBS' aborted revival of You Are There, which had been tried 2 years before Go! began.

This promo comes from NBC's 1974 Saturday morning preview, which we've shown before. Dick Tufeld is the narrator.



Didn't see enough of the show to form an opinion, so no rating.

3 comments:

Silverstar said...

I remember hearing the title a couple of times as a kid, but I've never actually seen the show. It's possible my local NBC affiliate didn't carry it; I missed several Saturday Morning shows that way. Go! kind of sounds like a CBS infotainment show for young people called Razzmatazz, but the latter had a set and a host. Also, IIRC, Razzmatazz didn't air weekly.

Goldstar said...

Likewise, I've never actually seen Go!, but based on that promo, the show's concept sound similar to a short lived series that aired on PBS called Studio See, which similarly lacked a fixed set or a host. My memories of Studio See are vague, as I saw a couple of episodes, but the show briefly ran on PBS during either the late 70s or early 80s, as I recall.

hobbyfan said...

Guys, I feel your pain. Go did air in my area for a time, but I usually wasn't at home to watch.

As for Studio See and Razzmatazz, I'll do some research.