Sunday, November 12, 2017

Saturday Morning's Greatest Hits: Morning Train (9 to 5)(1981)

Scotland's Sheena Easton scored her only American #1 hit in 1981, and earned a Grammy as Best New Artist, with "Morning Train (9 to 5)". The "Morning Train" title was added in the US & Canada to avoid confusion with a certain Dolly Parton crossover hit that came out a year earlier. Dick Clark explains all this to introduce Sheena on American Bandstand.



The second single, "Modern Girl", was actually released first in the UK, but failed to crack their top 40. Of course, Sheena would finish the year with the theme from the James Bond movie, "For Your Eyes Only", but how that failed to reach #1, I don't know.

7 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

Some people are just meant to be one-hit wonders I guess.

hobbyfan said...

Sheena was more than a 1-hit wonder, though.

Chris Sobieniak said...

Yeah I know. I suppose I was trying to make a joke there and failed.

hobbyfan said...

Let's not forget her foray into acting ("Miami Vice"). Or maybe we should.....

Chris Sobieniak said...

Now I'm reminded she voiced a dog in the All Dogs Go To Heaven sequel that I just tanked for me.

hobbyfan said...

Hmmm, maybe I can pull that one up sometime....

Unknown said...

She was also the voice of the Groomer in the short lived series Road Rovers,