Thursday, August 20, 2020

On The Air: The Loud House (2016)

Suppose you were the only boy among 11 children, and all 10 of your sisters can potentially be varying degrees of annoying.

That seems to be part of the premise behind Nickelodeon's The Loud House, which is soon going into its 5th season. While series creator Chris Savino was dismissed from Nickelodeon 2 years ago over allegations of sexual harrassment and/or abuse, the series marches on.

Savino based the series on his own childhood, growing up in a large family. There are the predictable tie-ins, including toys and comic books, the latter of which we discuss today over at The Land of Whatever. There's also a spin-off, The Casagrandes, which bowed last year.

Here's an intro:



I wonder, though, if Savino is old enough to remember An American Family, a PBS docuseries from the 70's, whose subject was the Loud family.

No rating. Just a public service.

5 comments:

Silverstar said...

My bro Jason (Goldstar) did a breakdown of The Loud House characters on Twinsanity a few years back.

I fell off the show after the 2nd season; TLH relies a little too heavily on the bathroom level jokes for my tastes, and numbers aside, it skews kind of generic, but it's OK when it finds a good concept. Not the best, but I've seen much, much worse.

I only saw the backdoor pilot of The Casagrandes, and I wasn't impressed; to me it just came off like the same basic idea, tweaked just slightly enough for it not to be considered a flat-out ripoff and with a Latinx flavor. It might have gotten better since then, but I haven't felt the need to tune in to find out.

hobbyfan said...

I remember reading Goldstar's review. 11 kids makes for a busy show, but not for the right reasons.

magicdog said...

I agree that the show was stronger during the first two seasons, but there is far worse on TV these days.

Goldstar said...

For anyone watching The Loud House for the first time, I would suggest starting with the first two seasons, as those were the best. Like Silverstar said, the show could be worse, but it could be better also. Nowadays, TLH has become more of an ensemble comedy, and honestly, I don't know if that's a step up or down.

This is the first Nicktoon in years whose popularity rivals that of a certain yellow sponge, and so of course Nickelodeon is going to keep The Loud House going as long as it continues to put butts into seats. My chief concern is that TLH will end up becoming a zombie series whose network refuses to let die, as is the case with The Simpsons.

hobbyfan said...

There was a time when Fairly OddParents was in the same position that Loud House is in now. Design wise, they look similar.