Thursday, April 21, 2016

Animated World of DC Comics: Batman: Dead or Alive (1978)

The West was never this wild.

The Super Friends journey to the distant, Western-themed planet Texakana when the Capricorn Kid (Bill Calloway in a dual role) escapes jail after being initially captured by Batman & Robin (Olan Soule & Casey Kasem).

Seems the Kid feels embarrassed being captured by the Caped Crusaders, so he sets about getting revenge. See if you can spot one particular blooper in the course of "Batman: Dead or Alive":


When the Wonder Twins were captured, they weren't in costume, but when they're fished out of the flooding mine shaft, you can see that the artists mistakenly changed their attire. Make any excuse you want, but these errors were common back in the day.

I should note once again that during the Challenge season, the Legion of Doom episodes were in the 2nd half of the show, not the first half. I really wish some of these folks would get it right.

Rating: B.

2 comments:

Goldstar said...

I'm glad that you managed to uncover this particular episode of "Super Friends" because I haven't seen it since it originally aired on ABC. This one never aired on Cartoon Network, or at least I've never seen it on there. I distinctly remember there being an episode of SF where the team visits a wild west planet, but I had to convince myself that I didn't just imagine this episode. CN didn't seem to air many of the other episodes of "Challenge of the Super Friends" other than the ones with the Legion of Doom.

hobbyfan said...

They tended to emphasize the Legion half of the show more than anything, which wasn't fair. Of course, you can say they were playing to the internet by minimizing the Twins' involvement that season.

I've envisioned a sequel that was never made, one that had the Kid himself coming to earth for revenge.....