Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Saturday School: Two Rabbits Too Many (Sabrina, The Teenage Witch, 1969-71)


Well-meaning Sabrina (Jane Webb) tries again to pep up downtrodden Jughead (Howard Morris), but her success spell has an unexpected side effect. Jughead starts behaving like a rabbit, just in time for Riverdale High to be audited. Uh-oh.

Edit, 11/14/19: We've changed the video to use the complete episode, as "Pet Show" leads off.



Study the image of Sabrina's cousin, Ambrose (Morris). In both the current Secrets of a Teenage Witch series, and the just-launched Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comic book, Ambrose has been de-aged into a warlock around Sabrina's age or older, and not the comedy relief he was presented to us as back in the day. I prefer the adult Ambrose myself. What about you?

Rating: B.

4 comments:

Goldstar said...

As I recall (mind you, I haven't picked up a comic book in years), the adult Ambrose had a narcissistic, sarcastic personality similar to Salem's. I'm guessing this is why the character has since been de-aged and his personality been altered in the later adaptations.

It's also worth noting that in "Secrets of a Teenage Witch" Ambrose isn't related to Sabrina; he's just one of her classmates in Witch World school.

hobbyfan said...

Interesting. I think that's one of the reasons the series will end up cancelled, if Discovery Family doesn't pick up a year 2, which should've started by now.

And, yes, I do recall the Ambrose from those old cartoons, although the sarcasm was not quite as evident. Sabrina often called on him the same way Samantha would summon Dr. Bombay on Bewitched. I guess when it was decided to give Salem a voice in the 90's, they gave him Ambrose's old personality, which is why Ambrose was never used in the live-action series.

Scoobyfan1 said...

I had a thought about the Ambrose character, that being keep the character around Sabrina's age, but keep his older personality.

I mean if Shaggy and Alexander(from Josie and the Pussycats) can have the same personality, maybe Ambrose can be the same way; also, maybe he and Sabrina can still be cousins, but he could be more like the human Salem.

Heck, maybe for a future TV series, comic book or whatever, he and Salem maybe can be best friends or something; it sounds unusual, but hey a TV series/cartoon/comic book about a teenage witch sounded pretty far out probably when it was first thought of.

@Hobbyfan: reading your post reminded me of something. I don't remember the episode off hand, but the Sabrina The Teenage Witch live action series had an episode where Dom Deluise played a character that was a cousin of Sabrina's named Mortimer; this character if my memory is correct was a bit like Ambrose.

You can probably check it out on Hulu as the live action Sabrina series, the older Sabrina cartoon, and a couple Archie cartoon series are on the site.

hobbyfan said...

Dude, I pulled a few Archie & Sabrina eps off Hulu a while back, so I know they're there. Have to look up the live-action series' ep guide to check on Dom DeLuise's guest appearance.

I don't like the overly dark direction of the current comic book that just launched. Just too dark to suit, IMPO. Check my review over at Land of Whatever.