Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Toon Rock: When I'm 64 (1967-8)

 Paul McCartney originally wrote "When I'm 64" as a teenager before the Beatles ever came into existence. The track was recorded by the "Fab Four" in 1967, intended for the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, then was included the next year on the soundtrack to "Yellow Submarine", from whence we get this clip. Animation designs by Peter Max.


Today, a snippet of "When I'm 64" is used by a local law firm as the theme to their weekly talk show about estate planning & retirement. Go figure.

2 comments:

Silverstar said...

Yellow Submarine was the first animated movie I remember seeing. Our hippie aunt was staying with us at the time; she watched us during the day while our folks were at work and one night she let us stay up late so we could watch this movie when it aired on (I believe) the CBS Late Night Movie. Anyway, I was struck immediately by the surreal visuals of the film, and this sequence in particular stuck in my brain, particularly when they start counting off to 64. I was mastering Sesame Street at the time, so this sequence was like Sesame Street on LSD to me.

hobbyfan said...

One of the first cartoons to air in late night, well before [adult swim] and the existence of Cartoon Network. Cool!