Friday, July 20, 2018

Remember when there was pudding in a can? (1968)

50 years ago, Hunt-Wesson Foods (now part of ConAgra Foods) introduced Snack Pack pudding. Five flavors, including chocolate, vanilla, tapioca, and butterscotch, and the gimmick was that they were in pull-top cans. Del Monte, as memory serves, would counter with their Pudding Cups and Fruit Cups in the 70's. I should know. I had both Del Monte Pudding Cups and Snack Pack in the cans before the latter converted to plastic, disposable cups a few years later.

What I didn't know, having not seen this next item until now, was that Hunt-Wesson went the extra mile and used a talking horse (YouTube commentators immediately assumed it was Mr. Ed) to sell the product.

Two commercials are in this clip.



Those same commentators took note that the horse's voice may have been Bill Scott using a variant on his Bullwinkle voice, but I doubt it.

4 comments:

Spuddie said...

Oh dear I hated those things. The pulltop ring always broke off in mid opening.

hobbyfan said...

Maybe that's why they eventually went to the plastic cups.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I do miss the metal cans though. I never had that problem.

Of course I still think of the movie Benji and how Del Monte's pudding cups were used in that film!

hobbyfan said...

Today, those cans would wind up in the recycling bin after use.