Monday, August 21, 2017

Getting Schooled: Wonderful Stories of Professor Kitzel (1972)

Shamus Culhane came up with a winning series of educational shorts, the Wonderful Stories of Professor Kitzel, which ran in syndication beginning in 1972, at first commissioned by Bristol-Myers for their short-lived Pals vitamins, which would sponsor the short pieces. After 4 years, Worldvision took over distribution. Until today, I hadn't seen any of these shorts, and over 100 of them were produced over 4 years (1972-6). I believe that after that, Culhane moved on to the series that I'm trying to find, the Spirit of Independence, which I did see.

Anyway, the professor (Paul Soles, ex-Spider-Man, Rocket Robin Hood) intros a bio on "John Cabot".



Rating: A.

4 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

They seem to have gotten more exposure up in Canada along with "Max, the 2000 Year Old Mouse".

hobbyfan said...

I think that's because the studio was based in Canada.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I wouldn't doubt you there. It also helped those shows later on when "Canadian Content" rulings for broadcasting put them in the safe pile along with "Rocket Robin Hood".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

hobbyfan said...

What I'm really looking for is those Spirit of Independence shorts that Culhane did. I actually saw a few of those back in the day. You know, with Sam Hawkins?