Sunday, January 28, 2018

Literary Toons: Moby Dick (1975)

From Famous Classic Tales:

Australia's Air Programs International presented the lone new episode of Famous Classic Tales for the 1974-5 season on New Year's Day 1975 with a slightly loose adaptation of Herman Melville's classic, Moby Dick. I think CBS scheduled this in between their coverage of the Tournament of Roses Parade (which they at the time shared with NBC) and the Cotton Bowl, then a New Year's Day tradition for the network.

Melville's tale mixed the Bible with other literary classics, such as the works of William Shakespeare. Follow along, and you'll see what I mean. Mind the foreign subtitles.



I think the ancillary characters at the start of the show were meant to set the stage, rather than go with Ishmael's narration from the start. For good or bad is up to you.

Rating: B.

2 comments:

Donna Raskin said...

Hi. I just taught this novel to a college class; it was my third time reading. I think it's an allegory for slavery in the United States and that's one reason the whale is white.

hobbyfan said...

That's a very interesting take on the story. Thanks for writing.