Friday, June 2, 2017

Toonfomercial: Remember Donutz cereal? (1980)

General Mills began the 80's by introducing a brand new cereal that trumpeted its arrival with a retro-doo-wop beat.

Donutz cereal didn't last long, a couple of years tops, but in a way, the company rebooted the product when they expanded the Cheerios line further a few years later. In my mind, Chocolate Cheerios is really Chocolate Donutz repackaged, as the "donuts" looked more like cocoa coated Cheerios in the first place.

Now, scope out this sample ad:



And the chocolate variation:



Yes, I tried it. How do you think I know they were "cousins", if ya will, of Cheerios back then?

2 comments:

Goldstar said...

I remember seeing the commercials for Donutz cereal in the 80s, but I've never tried it, which is odd, considering that I love donuts.

hobbyfan said...

The ads claim they taste like donuts, but, as I noted, they are shaped more like Cheerios. They were meant to have the donut taste once drenched in milk, I think.