Friday, April 1, 2011

Saturtainment: The Three Stooges

I don't know about you, but in my home district, cable television was a godsend in the early 70's. More stations, more choices. In those days, we were blessed with 4 independent channels from out of town: WSBK in Boston, and WPIX, WNEW (now WNYW), & WOR (now WWOR), and we had our favorite times for each channel.

For WSBK, that would be Saturdays, just before lunch, when they had The Three Stooges. My father wasn't a fan back then, and tried discouraging me from watching, afraid I'd imitate some of their antics. He was more comfortable watching the Abbott & Costello movies on 'PIX on Sundays, instead. Anyway, I got my laughs watching the classic shorts, mostly with Curly.

With apologies to XTC's 1989 hit, Jerome "Curly" Howard, to me, was the original "Mayor of Simpleton". Strong as a bull, but about as smart as a box of broken thumbtacks, as evidenced in the 1936 classic, "Disorder in the Court". Apparently, we're led to believe Curly had never been inside a courtroom before.

As everyone knows, Larry Fine really was a skilled violinist, and "Disorder" gives him a platform for his talent, aided by Curly on bass and Moe on harmonica, though he'd have been better off just playing the harp instead of trying to conduct the band at the same time. Here's "Disorder in the Court":



Rating: A+.

No comments: