Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rein-toon-ation: My Favorite Martians (1973)

It had been a few years since the original My Favorite Martian, starring Ray Walston & Bill Bixby, had left CBS for syndicated reruns. Filmation struck a deal to adapt the series into a Saturday morning cartoon, also for CBS, as part of the network's 1973-74 lineup. Here's the opening, which was posted to YouTube off Retrojunk.com, but the video, I will caution, is not in the best quality:



My Favorite Martians lasted just one season. Jonathan Harris (ex-Lost In Space) took over the role of Uncle Martin, originated by Walston, and, as previously documented, would later work on two live-action series for Filmation: Uncle Croc's Block & Space Academy. My Favorite Martians would later resurface as part of the syndicated Groovie Goolies & Friends anthology package just a few years later, which is when I first encountered the animated Martians.

Rating: B--.

No comments: