Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Spooktober: Who'd ever think an amulet could turn people into animals? (1970)

 From Sabrina & The Groovie Goolies:

Sabrina (Jane Webb) tries to help Ethel (Webb) by supplying her with Cousin Ambrose's special amulet. What Ambrose (Howard Morris) forgot is that the amulet has special powers, which pose problems for Jughead (Morris).

Here's "Ambrose's Amulet":


As Sabrina predated the TV series, Bewitched, by 2 years, you wouldn't know if Ambrose was actually the inspiration for Dr. Bombay on the latter series if you hadn't read the books first. As we now know, Ambrose, like Aunts Hilda & Zelda, was rebooted for a modern generation in the comics and the recent Netflix Chilling Adventures of Sabrina series.

Rating: B.

2 comments:

Scoobyfan1 said...

Regarding The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina's version of Ambrose, from what I have seen(I have not seen the Netflix series, as I don't have Netflix; I'm only going by what I've read about it and fan fics about it) and read(in particular, the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comics), I actually have tinkered with using him in some of my fan fic projects where Sabrina is in the Scooby Doo universe...

Namely, having him be in his late teens/early twenties and a potential romance with Velma; I actually was also thinking of using one of Sabrina's other male cousins from the original comics in that role as well, although I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do yet in that regard.

I would probably use the characters the way I think they would be(so Ambrose, if I use him), probably would be straight, etc.

Although, the version of Ambrose from the original comics and cartoons could be fun too... maybe have one of the gang's parents get romantically involved with him :)

hobbyfan said...

The video version of Chilling Advs. of Sabrina rebooted Ambrose as either gay or pansexual, or bisexual, I forget which, but they'd already de-aged him to approximately the age range you referred to. Originally an adult, and designed as their answer to Dr. Bombay on Bewitched, only in this case, a jack of all trades, which I think Bombay was as well. The "new" Ambrose has not one, but two serpent familiars, which I was able to use in a fan-fic.