Monday, September 12, 2022

Daytime Heroes: Barnyard Commandos (1990)

 Based on a 1989 toy line from Playmates, Barnyard Commandos was adapted into a short-lived animated series which got 13 weeks in 1990, produced by Murakami-Wolf-Swenson (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). You have two teams of animal armies who engage in playful war games, but sometimes, things do get serious. 

The voice talent included Robert Ridgely, Len Weinrib, and relatively new to toons Thom Bray (ex-Riptide).

Following is the series opener:


I think that might be Weinrib attempting a mimic of Robin Leach as the narrator.

There's a reason the toy line faded into obscurity until plans surfaced for a revival 2 years ago.

No rating.

2 comments:

Goldstar said...

I remember Barnyard Commandos airing 5 episodes for a week as a limited run series on WBFF channel 45 in Baltimore. This must have happened before 1990 because I was only able to catch the last few minutes of it when I first returned home from school (I graduated high school in 1987, btw).

I've never seen an entire episode of Barnyard Commandoes, but based on what little I have seen, it struck me mostly as a studio trying to add a cohesive narrative to a toy line that clearly didn't have one.

hobbyfan said...

Because unlike TMNT, MWS had a blank slate to work with to sell the toys for their sponsor.