Thursday, June 20, 2013

Toon Rock: Do The Bartman (1990)

Any fan of The Simpsons worth their salt probably still has the 1990 album, "The Simpsons Sing The Blues". The first single was the rap, "Do The Bartman", performed by Bart Simpson himself (Nancy Cartwright), and would you believe that it was written by someone who knows a thing or two about hit records-----Michael Jackson.

The self-styled King of Pop didn't get any credit for penning "Bartman" due to the simple fact that the album was released on Geffen Records, while Michael himself recorded for Epic. Small wonder then that Jackson, a fan of the show, would eventually guest star a few years later.

Now, take a trip back to 1990 for "Do The Bartman".

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I DO still have the cassette version for the album this song was attached to!

I remember when this video used to play on MTV too. It was a fun song - though I'm shocked to hear MJ was the one who wrote it.

Believe it or not I haven't watched The Simpsons in a good decade - it's a completely different show than the one I remember.

hobbyfan said...

I have to check and see if I still have a copy of the tape as well. It's just unfortunate that the only videos that were made were Bart solo tracks (I posted Deep, Deep Trouble several months back). It should be also noted that Bartman is Bart's "costumed" alter-ego in a parody of----who else?---Batman, and Bongo Comics has published a Bartman book off and on over the years.