Thursday, November 1, 2018

Retro Toy Chest: Remember KISS action figures? (1978)

Mego Toys had licenses with DC Comics for their line of superhero action figures in the late 70's, but that wasn't all. The company also worked a deal with metal legends KISS to create figures in the images of the band. Remember this ad?



At the time, KISS was everywhere. A TV-movie produced by Hanna-Barbera for NBC. Their first comic book appearances were for Marvel. They did the Paul Lynde Halloween Special two years before the action figures came out. As 2019 begins, the band will embark on what will be their farewell tour.

2 comments:

Silverstar said...

I remember this spot. Also, IIRC, the Paul Lynde Halloween Special was my first exposure to KISS. I saw KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park shortly thereafter.

hobbyfan said...

KISS Meets The Phantom of The Park came out almost a year after the Lynde show. Funny thing is, I remember seeing it on a Sunday night late movie when NBC was doing that back in the day. I'll have to see if I can find it to review it someday.