Thursday, April 19, 2018

Saturday Morning's Forgotten Heroes: The Shmoo meets The Amazing Captain Mentor (1979)

It was never explained how The New Shmoo left Al Capp's wacky backwoods village of Dogpatch (Li'l Abner) for the big city in his 1979 NBC series, but then, since Shmoo (Frank Welker) would end up in Bedrock a year later, I guess it doesn't matter, does it?

Anyway, in the series opener, Shmoo and his new friends encounter a superhero who's too good to be true. Super Friends narrator Bill Woodson guest stars as "The Amazing Captain Mentor".

Edit, 7/9/23: Had to change the video. Popular trend these days is to record the videos at an angle.



What were Hanna-Barbera & NBC thinking, using Shmoo as a Scooby-Doo rip-off, albeit with three kids instead of four? Well, blame it, I think, on NBC, being desperate for a hit.

Rating: B-.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

The show was terribly derivative of SD's and Goober's premises, but this was my introduction to the character. Believe it or not, I thought he was a totally original character! After all, Lil' Abner wasn't running in our local papers by the 70s and it was my parents who told me how old Shmoo really was in pop culture!

hobbyfan said...

Abner was, in fact, gradually being phased out, as I remember seeing him in the Daily News as late as the early 80's, IIRC. I think H-B signed a 2-year licensing deal for Shmoo, and that's why he ended up in Bedrock the next year.