Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Kids were getting schooled on healthy eating in the 50's, too (1959)

Personal note. I went back to my alma mater the other night for a basketball game. After the junior varsity game ended, I meandered down to the cafeteria, which doubles as a concession stand during basketball season. I couldn't help but notice that they don't have soft drinks in the vending machines anymore. It's part of a growing movement to reduce childhood obesity and promote healthier eating. Instead of soda and sugary fruit juices (no diet sodas were present), the vending machines had water and Gatorade.

My point? The movement is a throwback to a simpler, happier time, when it was cool to promote complete, healthy, nutritious breakfasts.

Let's take a trip back in time to 1959. Oklahoma football coach Bud Wilkinson, later a color analyst for ABC after his coaching career ended, is plugging Quaker oatmeal. Mother's Oats is another Quaker brand.

4 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

My high school has a Coke vending machine near the Field House that has both diet and "Zero" variants of Coke, Mello Yello and a few others.

hobbyfan said...

Just reporting what I'd seen, Chris. Didn't see any Pepsi or Coke. Can't remember what water brand was used, be it Dasani (Coke) or Aquafina (Pepsi).

Chris Sobieniak said...

That's OK. I tend to get firsthand knowledge since I could just walk right over there and see 'em!

hobbyfan said...

Be'lee that, playa.