Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Saturday Morning's Forgotten Heroes: Freedom Force vs. The Plant Soldiers (1978)

The Freedom Force are victimized by a mysterious thief which broke into the Hall of Treasures while Isis (Diane Pershing) and Toshi are---get this---playing Hide & Seek.



Isis creating duplicates of herself was something new, not used in her live-action series, which suggests that writer Tom Swale---who'd later work for Hanna-Barbera---thought expanding the scope of Isis' powers might make her more interesting. Meh.

Rating: B.

4 comments:

Silverstar said...

I only caught fleeting glimpses of 'Tarzan and the Super 7' as a kid; I was generally more into comedy than action at the time (kinda still true now, though I don't mind a decent action toon every now and then) and I believe the show aired opposite something else I was more into.

Of the various attractions on 'Super 7', Freedom Force was the one I found the most intriguing, with Super-Stretch and Micro-Woman coming in second. The latter was pretty meh overall, but I did like how the protagonists were not only African American, but a married couple; happy, stable marrieds are a rarity in the world of capes.

Freedom Force had Mighty Isis, Merlin, Hercules from 'Young Sentinels' and Pegasus -- what was not to like? I probably would've put Astrea (sp?) from 'Young Sentinels' in there as well, just so there'd be another lady on the team. (3 or more guys on a team should have at least 2 women--call it the Power Rangers Protocol.) I remember thinking Toshi/Super Samurai was kind of cool too.

hobbyfan said...

The shape-shifter from Young/Space Sentinels was Astria, I believe.

In terms of time, IIRC, Super 7 aired opposite Laff-a-Lympics on ABC and whatever was on NBC at that hour. Where CBS & Filmation goofed was not giving the show more time, instead expanding Bugs Bunny/Road Runner to 90 minutes, as memory serves.

Silverstar said...

Laff-A-Lympics, eh? That would explain why I didn't see much of Super 7 back then. I was a HUGE LAL fan back in the day.

hobbyfan said...

So were a lot of other kids.