Saturday, February 28, 2015

Rare Treats: Some Wacky Racers come to life (2014)

A friend of mine tipped me to this next item.

A European car company obtained a license to use some Wacky Races characters for an advertising campaign last year. The hook? It's not a cartoon.

Peter Perfect, Dick Dastardly & Muttley, Penelope Pitstop, Red Max, the Slag Bros., the Ant Hill Mob, the Creepy Coupe, and the Army Surplus Special end up crashing around a civilian driving a Peugeot. Scope it!



Insofar as I know, YouTube may be the only place in the US where you can see this ad.

4 comments:

Silverstar said...

That was [bleep]ing cool. Pity we couldn't get that ad here.

Goldstar said...

That commercial was both insane and awesome at the same time! I've seen people customize live action versions of some of the Wacky Racers' cars, but never the characters themselves! As a kid, I longed to own toy versions of the Wacky Races cars, but as far as I know, no company ever made them.

It's too bad that we didn't get to see Professor Pat Pending in the Converter Car, but that likely would've been too expensive to replicate.

hobbyfan said...

Not only was Pat Pending missing, but also the Arkansas Chug-a-Bug and Rufus Ruffcutt & Sawtooth in the Buzzwagon.

Funny I should mention Sawtooth. Seems Wacky Races is big in Europe. There's another video that has Sawtooth, I kid you not, riding with Penelope Pitstop. I think that'll be up soon.

magicdog said...

That commercial was a trip!

I seem to remember about a year ago there was a news story in which several reconstructed "Wacky Races" vehicles were part of a parade in London. I'm curious if they were connected to the vehicles used here.

I didn't know WR was so popular in Europe! It's still a fun toon to watch now and then.