Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Looney TV: Rabbit of Seville (1959)

Rossini's opera, "The Barber of Seville" gets sent up by director Chuck Jones as he puts Bugs Bunny, on the run from Elmer Fudd, into an opera house. Raise the curtain for "Rabbit of Seville".



Between this and "What's Opera, Doc?", you'd think the kiddo's would've learned to appreciate opera. I know my brother did, and back in the day was known to listen to radio performances of the Metropolitan Opera on a NYC radio station.

Rating: A-.

4 comments:

Goldstar said...

Associating cartoon characters with classical music is an effective way of getting kids interested in the art form. It definitely worked on me. I likely wouldn't know anything about the "Carnival of the Animals" by Pierre Saint Sanes if I hadn't seen the CBS prime time special of it starring Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck all those years ago. Chuck Jones directed that special, if I'm not mistaken.

hobbyfan said...

Have to look that one up, Goldstar. Thanks for the tip.

SaturdayMorningFan said...

Carnival of the Animals is available as part of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5 as a bonus feature. I didn't really care for it, and I love the classic Looney Tunes cartoons and have at least a basic appreciation for classical music. To each his own. As an aside, www.deepdiscount.com is having a sale on the first 2 Looney Tunes Platinum Collections Blu-Rays and DVDs. Volume 1 is $14.46 Blu, $12.44 DVD and the second volume is $18.38 Blu and $12.44 DVD. These are the best prices I've seen on these, and you get free shipping for orders over $25. I *think* the DVD versions lack the bonus features though, and if you have the Golden Collections, about 90% of the Platinum Collections' content already made appearances there (so the only reason to get them would be to upgrade to Blu-Ray). The third and final Platinum Collection volume is not on sale.

hobbyfan said...

Hmmmmmm. Think I'm going to do some discount shopping sometime soon....