Thursday, January 21, 2016

Toonfomercial: Remember Ollie Keebler? (1969)

Friends, I've been on the hunt for a particular commercial for years, but haven't found it. I'll tell you about it another time when I actually find the clip. Anyway, as I was searching, I ran across this little nugget of joy......!

Most of us associate the Keebler elves with their long time leader, Ernie, who for years was voiced by actor Parley Baer (ex-The Andy Griffith Show), though some spots also credit long time Krofft repertory player Walker Edmiston as Ernie. However, before Ernie, there was Ollie Keebler.

In 1969, Keebler, now part of Kellogg's, commissioned Hanna-Barbera to produce the following ad. Long time H-B standby Daws Butler is the voice of Ollie.




Does the announcer's voice sound familiar at the end? Sure it does. It belongs to Danny Dark, 4 years before Super Friends. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Danny was also working in radio at the time.

2 comments:

Silverstar said...

Like most folks I reckon, I always thought that Ernie Keebler was the original Keebler Elf, so I learned something today.

hobbyfan said...

Ditto that, Silverstar. I wonder what did happen to Ollie, though......