Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Spooktober: When Halloween Was Forever (The Real Ghostbusters, 1986)

From season 1 of The Real Ghostbusters:

Pre-Halloween jobs are getting harder for the Ghostbusters. Could there be some major supernatural threat behind this? J. Michael Straczynski, before he earned sci-fi credentials with Babylon 5, cut his teeth writing for cartoons like The Real Ghostbusters and the original He-Man & The Masters of the Universe. "When Halloween Was Forever" allows him to demonstrate a flair for comedy, as well.



I think I can see why Lorenzo Music was replaced as Peter after 1 season. It wasn't because he left to do Garfield & Friends, but the fact that he has one basic voice, which gets tweaked a tad depending on the character. And Ray (Frank Welker) sounds more like a grown-up Fred Jones, doesn't he?

Rating: A-.

2 comments:

Scoobyfan1 said...

@Hobbyfan: funny you mention that Ray sounds like a grown up Fred Jones.

I remember watching the series Extreme Ghostbusters in syndication(which I guess was basically a new version of the Real Ghostbusters, just with a few different characters) in the late 1990s and when I heard the character Ray(or another character) speak, the first thing I thought of was that he sounded exactly like Fred Jones.

At the time I was starting to get into watching Scooby and being a fan of the series, so I was able to pick up that similarity pretty quickly.

hobbyfan said...

Yah, they brought the old gang back together for a 2-parter near the end of the run. I haven't seen that one, but maybe someday.......