Friday, July 26, 2013

Tooniversary: The Slaver Weapon (1973)

Here's a Star Trek rarity. An episode without Captain Kirk (William Shatner).

No, this time around, Mr. Spock (Leonard Nimoy) takes point (and narrates) in the episode, "The Slaver Weapon". Acclaimed science fiction author Larry Niven adapted his own original story for television.

Scope the trailer:



This was the only time in 5 seasons (3 live-action, 2 animated) that Kirk was not in the story. Amazing, isn't it?

I believe Leonard Nimoy was still working on another Paramount series, Mission: Impossible, while reprising as Spock. Have to check and verify.

Regrettably, the poster didn't include opening & closing credits. Oh, well, can't have everything.

Rating: B.

4 comments:

Geed said...

As you well know, I loves me some old school Filmation. Now that you have reminded me this was from 1973, I now feel a very old 45. :) I've had the dvd set of the animated Star Trek for a very long time and it, being from Paramount, was NOT cheap at the time. They do love to squeeze every drop of blood from the Trek franchise.

hobbyfan said...

You feel old? So do I. I'm 50. :)

I actually took some books out of the library back in the day that featured some of the animated series characters, but that was as far as they would go, as they were forgotten by the time they started making movies.........!

magicdog said...

I saw this not too long ago and it holds up rather well. The fact this story could be seamlessly wrapped around the ST cast is also telling. I think it could have even worked in the live action series as well.

For the longest time Trek fans were split as to consider ST-TAS as canon (which could be why it was forgotten when the big screen films came along) but I still think it was one of the better shows available to Saturday morning audiences at the time - especially considering the violence rules that were firmly in place then.

If nothing else, the animated series made it possible to flesh out alien characters that 60s make up and costumers couldn't.

This show is still held in enough regard to get shout outs; the current TV series, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" has an expy of ST - TAS as a TV show Leonardo loves to watch! He uses it as a guide to being a better leader and hero! It's really done quite well!

hobbyfan said...

So I've read in re.: TMNT/ST:TAS. Nice.