Friday, August 31, 2012

Animated World of DC Comics: Aquaman vs. The Fisherman & Mephisto (1967)

Aquaman didn't have as many arch-foes as his DC contemporaries, such as Superman or Batman, but two of them made it to TV. Black Manta made his debut in the very first episode, and would later resurface on Super Friends a decade later. However, as you can see, there's also the Fisherman, a lesser known foe who was certainly just as much of a menace.

Here's "Where Lurks The Fisherman", followed by "Mephisto's Marine Marauders":



Rating: B+.

2 comments:

Geed said...

I really did like the Aquaman series. I remember being a youngun in NY watching reruns on channel 5 and seeing all the Filmation DC stuff before they decided to just show all Batman (This was, maybe, '72 so before Superfriends and me being 5 years old). Hell, the only reason Aquaman got on the Superfriends is because the ABC execs knew he already had his own show and figured he'd be familiar to kids. I was so happy when they put the whole series out on dvd. Never did understand why he was in the JLA opening when he wasn't in the episodes. I've seen the full Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure opening on YouTube and wow, that song...I thought the Marvel Super Heroes opening music was corny. Still, I don't care what people say...I loves me some DC Filmation. Reminds me of simpler cartoon times and at least the heroes could throw punches.

hobbyfan said...

Actually, channel 5 (and channel 38 in Boston) had the format thus:

Superman (all 3 seasons)
Aquaman
Batman

This would cycle through in about 3 -3 1/2 months time, and this was by the time I was in high school, and you were 10.